Pieve stands at the top of a cliff excavated by the glacier. Lake Garda is located at 65 metres above sea level, while Pieve is at 423
m. a.s.l.. For centuries they have been connected by one of the world’s most beautiful pathways, called the “Sentiero del porto”
that is still capable of providing travellers with an absolutely breathtaking view as they are caressed by the lake breeze. The ancient paving and the blackened stones of the side walls tell the tale of men and their barters, of the literally back-breaking transport of goods. Once at the top, the terrace that was reached by the cableway only in the late 19th century reconciles one with the surrounding haven. Up and down, down and up, first to reach the port almost hidden at the feet of the little valley, and then on to the cotton factory in Campione, that provided a job for hundreds of workers. Up and down also to reach the mountain areas, to cut grass for the animals, to gather wood for the fireplace and for the “calchéra” and the “poiàt”. Not to mention for hunting, for reaching
the stalls, the inn, etc. Pieve still experiences this dimension set between lake and sky, while Mount Baldo, the majestic mountain
standing on the opposite shore (province of Verona), keeps faithful and silent watch. At dusk, when the plain beyond turns fire red,
the cluster of houses around the Castèl and the church welcomes you to its narrow and protective lanes.
In the 8th-9th century A.D. a chapel stood on this site, later replaced by the Romanesque parish church dedicated to Saint Mary and mentioned in a 1186 bull of pope Urban III. From that time only the bell tower and a few walls of the rectory remain after its demolition in around 1570 for the construction of a new church dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. In addition to the altars it contains veritable artistic master pieces such as the chancel of the presbytery and the wooden highbacked chairs and bench of the sacristy, sculpted in the early 18th century by Giacomo Luchini.